Frequently asked questions
We give you the chance to appeal directly to the organisation’s own community including members, their parents, grandparents, former members, and even beyond to local or not so local businesses to help fund inspirational projects enhancing the community spirit or to accept regular donations to fund on-going projects.
Appealing to the organisation community, and local businesses is a fantastic and increasingly popular way to raise the funds needed for those on-going community. Unsurprisingly though, fundraising can quickly become a time-consuming and costly process.
InvestMyCommunity – as the UK’s first and only dedicated crowdfunding platform for all community minded organisations – is making it simple to fund one-off inspirational projects such as providing an outreach youth programme or a new astro-turf pitch for the football club to allow year round activity.
Either. A typical crowdfunding campaign can be employed to collect one-off donations towards funding a specific project. However, a Regular Giving campaign provides a steady flow of funds that can be invested to fulfil a wishlist of projects or provide a steady stream of incremental revenue. Of course, the wishlist can be added to from time to time, so the wider organisation community can clearly see how their contributions are making a difference to the organisation and its crowd, audience or even customers.
Most organisations have a wishlist of projects to fund. If you are unsure of which campaign type to select then we would recommend collecting monthly donations through a Regular Giving campaign. Regular Giving with InvestMyCommunity offers significant advantages:
- The organisation receives a steady stream of regular donations and Gift Aid.
- There is no need to start from scratch for each new campaign that requires funding. The fundraising momentum is maintained.
- It is flexible. Anyone can still choose to make a one-off donation to your campaign for any amount, at any time so you don’t lose out on any contributions.
- InvestMyCommunity can run a “Boost” campaign, perhaps using the Sponsorship Button, from time to time top up regular donations, for example to get the next item on the wishlist over the line.
- Less work for you and the organisation! All donations are made through our secure online platform, and we collect the Gift Aid for you.
Our unique Premium Service is all the tools required to run your own campaign plus our professional team provide support from inception to success. Our Premium Service option recognises that it requires a major commitment in time to successfully raise funds. Our team of fundraising professionals will work with you to develop and refine the campaign content and message. We will help to deliver a structured comprehensive communication programme to the organisation and the wider community throughout the campaign, via digital, print, social media and press releases. Our team will actively monitor your campaign’s progress and pro-actively provide support. You also have access to our helpdesk at your convenience. Our Premium Service is unique – no other fundraising platform offers this!
Our Essentials option may suit an organisation that has the resource and skills to successfully raise funds itself. It provides you with all of the tools to run your own successful crowdfunding campaign, and to collect donations through our secure online portal, including:
- A full suite of tools to help spread the word of your campaign
- A dedicated campaign webpage including photos and even a video
- Easy, one-click social media sharing including Facebook and Twitter
- A bespoke double sided campaign leaflet to print off and distribute
- Real-time tracking and reporting on your campaign’s progress
- A suite of guides to help you to prepare, launch and run your campaign successfully
- We even collect Gift Aid on your behalf – which can boost qualifying donations by 25%.
If you choose to collect regular donations then there are no Standing Orders or Direct Debits to set up and administer. Simply direct your crowd to InvestMyCommunity to make a one-off donation or set up a regular gift. Donations and Gift Aid are transferred directly to your bank account each month.
Of course, designing a webpage to spread the word about a fundraising campaign is relatively straightforward. However, working with InvestMyCommunity offers many advantages, saving you and your colleagues significant time and money.
Using our highly automated platform, InvestMyCommunity provides a comprehensive end-to-end service for your fundraising campaign:
- You are provided with a suite of tools and media for your campaign. You can provide details of your organisation and its fundraising campaign; upload suitable images, and even a video so that you can tell your audience how funds will be used.
- We provide all the tools that you need to spread the word about your fundraising campaign:
- We give you a bespoke campaign webpage with a unique URL so that your audience can find details of your fundraising page easily.
- Each campaign page includes a PDF leaflet which can easily be printed off and distributed, with no additional work.
- And we also give you a simple one click button to spread the news of your campaign on all the main social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter.
- We provide a payment gateway from one of the UK’s leading providers, Sagepay, so that everyone can make donations safely, and securely.
- We provide a payment gateway from one of the UK’s leading providers, Sagepay, so that everyone can make donations safely, and securely.
- If you want to collect regular donations your community can simply tick a box and we do the rest – no need to set up cumbersome Standing Orders or costly Direct Debits.
- For your assurance, all donations are held in our ring-fenced client bank account at Barclays Bank, in accordance with FCA guidelines.
- InvestMyCommunity submits reports to the Inland Revenue and collects Gift Aid on your behalf – you don’t need to do anything.
Furthermore, our Premium Service option recognises that it requires a major commitment in time to successfully raise funds. Our team of fundraising professionals will work with you to develop and refine the campaign content and message. We will help to deliver a structured comprehensive communication programme to the organisation and the wider community throughout the campaign, via digital, print, social media and press releases. Our team will actively monitor your campaign’s progress and pro-actively provide support. You also have access to our helpdesk at your convenience.
Your campaign on InvestMyCommunity.com could be up and running in a matter of just a few minutes – leaving you free to deliver an outstanding learning experience.
No. Whilst your organisation does not have to be a registered charity, if it is we can collect Gift Aid on your behalf that could boost donations by 25%.
Yes. We make it simple for you to register on our secure website and your campaign could be live in a matter of minutes.
There are two parts to the registration process and we require information for each:
The individual who completes the registration on behalf of the organisation.
InvestMyCommunity will undertake a simple check to verify the ID of the person registering the campaign on behalf of the organisation in accordance with government and FCA requirements. We do NOT carry out a credit check, and no entry will be recorded on your credit file. We do not access any personal data or information – we simply check that you are who you say you are. In order to complete this simple check, we ask you to provide:
- Your full name
- Your home address
- Your date of birth
The organisation on behalf of which you are registering a campaign.
InvestMyCommunity requires some information in order to undertake requisite due diligence:
- The type of organisation that you are registering on behalf of e.g. an organisation, charity or Friends association
- The organisation name, address and website
- The Registered Charity number, if applicable
- The company number if your organisation is registered at Companies House.
Our secure platform makes it easy for you to upload your organisation’s logo, photos and appeal text to create a great looking webpage for your fundraising campaign. You can even provide a video to tell your audience about your organisation’s campaign.
You will need to provide:
- A campaign name
- The fundraising goal
- To populate your campaign detail, the more information you can provide to tell your story, the better. This should include:
- A description of your campaign and how the money will be used – up to 2,500 characters
- Images – a main image, organisation logo, and a gallery of (for example) project images
- An optional link to a campaign video uploaded to Youtube. This is optional and if you choose not to provide a video you can still launch your campaign – or choose to add it later!
Anyone! The more people that you tell about your campaign, the more likely you are to reach your target, and faster. Tell them how much you are looking to raise, and how the funds will be used and how they can contribute.
This useful mindmap illustrates the breadth and depth of a typical school and could provide a template to help you map out the community your organisation can reach out to:
InvestMyCommunity provides you with all the tools to reach out to your organisation’s community as you choose. Your organisation will have its own webpage with a unique URL. We also provide you with a two-sided A5 PDF leaflet that can be printed and distributed by hand or post. Each campaign page has social media buttons that make it easy for anyone to tell their own network about the fundraising campaign or their donation with just one click.
InvestMyCommunity provides your organisation with all the tools required to spread the message:
- A dedicated campaign webpage with a unique URL
- Instant one-click sharing across all the major social media platforms
- A bespoke double-sided A5 leaflet to print off and share
Each organisation will have its own methods of communicating with its community and it is important that every means available is used. For example:
- A weekly newsletter – whether that is a hard copy or email
- A dedicated email, either direct or via your Newsletter
- Print the A5 leaflet and distribute via or post. There are plenty of online printing services. We have found www.Instantprint.co.uk to be competitive and fast.
- Let other organisations know of your campaign if they may be able to make use of the new facilities or service provided by your successful project
- A telephone campaign to reach a wider audience using a service provider such as www.teleraise.com.
- The local press – especially if you are seeking funds from the public, or local businesses
- Rotary Clubs and Round Table groups, and the local Chamber of Commerce
- Social media is especially useful – we provide the tools for your community to easily share the news of your campaign across all of the popular social media platforms – and even their donation should they choose to.
The more often the campaign is shared, the more likely the organisation will reach its target quicker.
Yes, InvestMyCommunity provides a Q&A forum, where they can ask questions. All questions and answers are visible to all users of InvestMyCommunity.
A prompt response is both courteous and positive.
Your organisation can choose to run a campaign to accept regular donations from its community. Donators simply insert the amount that they would like to regularly donate and confirm that they would like to make a monthly donation. Their bankcard is then debited by that amount each month. If they want to change the amount that they donate, or stop donations, then they can make those changes online.
If you are a registered charity and can supply your charity and HMRC reference number, then we can collect any Gift Aid on your behalf. This can then be paid, along with any donations, directly in to your nominated bank account.
Yes, HMRC allows agents, nominees and collection agents to make repayment claims on your behalf.
Agents, nominees and collection agents can only claim for your charity or CASC if you’ve informed HMRC that they’re authorised to represent you.
You’ll need to tell HMRC that an individual or organisation is authorised to make a claim on your behalf by completing form ChV1. Save the application form (ChV1) on your computer and complete it on screen. Include the agent’s details in the ‘Changes to the nominee and collection agency details’ section. Sections 1, 2 and 7 should be completed by yourselves. Then print it, sign it and send it to the address on the form.
Click here for more info
Unlike other fundraising platforms there is no set-up fee to launch your campaign, nor a subscription to pay. That means there is no risk to launch your campaign.
Whether you choose to run a campaign to fund a project or to collect regular donations, there is a competitive marketing fee of just 3% of all donations including Gift Aid for our Basic Service.
If you prefer to take advantage of all the extras that our Premium Service offers, then a marketing fee of just 5% applies.
Whichever service level you choose, there is a 1.5% payment processing fee on the money donation only.
We believe in keeping our charges simple and transparent. Unlike some other fundraising platforms, we do not charge to simply register a campaign. We do not ask your donators to make a “contribution to our operating costs” – we think that this deters people from donating to your campaign – or at least to think twice about how much they donate. Our Basic Service is comparable with the service provided by other fundraising platforms and our marketing fee for this is a competitive 3% of all funds raised plus a 1.5% payment processing fee. Simple and fair. And if you opt for our unique Premium Service, where we help to create and manage your campaign, our marketing fee is just 5% of funds raised – still less than most other fundraising platforms. See how our fees add up (or don’t!) for £10,000 campaign in the table below:
No, you’re not! We are aware of the frustration often experienced by the users of some fundraising platforms at the complexity and lack of clarity of their fees – even the so-called “not for profit” platforms. It is often almost impossible to calculate the total cost of running a campaign!
Of course, we are a business – we have costs to cover, and shareholders to account to. So we do charge to provide our service. But we believe in clear, transparent and fair fees. Our marketing fee is all-inclusive. There are no registration or subscription fees or fees to donate. We have benchmarked our fees versus all the major fundraising and firmly believe running a campaign on InvestMyCommunity offers fantastic value.
Regular Giving Campaigns – donations for a calendar month to a “Regular Giving” campaign are transferred directly to your nominated bank account on or around the 15th of the calendar month immediately following the calendar month in which the donations were made.
“Crowdfund a Project” campaign – donations are transferred on or around the 15th of the calendar month immediately following the calendar month in which the campaign was closed.
Note that Gift Aid is transferred to you directly from HMRC so is dependent on their processes and service levels.
Note that InvestMyCommunity reserves the right to retain funds if, in its exclusive opinion, it has been unable to satisfactorily verify that the recipient bank account belongs to the client organisation until such time as it has been able to do so.
Yes. We make it possible for you to keep track of all individual donations and how much is being raised. We are unable to provide individual donator names.
InvestMyCommunity can extend your campaign term – simply advise us of your extended deadline. Alternatively, you can choose to draw down any funds raised. Please note that by registering a crowdfunding campaign on InvestMyCommunity, the organisation has made a contractual commitment to ensure that all donations provided to the organisation’s crowdfunding campaign will be used for the purposes set out on the crowdfunding page and other campaign material.
Yes. For example, if your campaign is funded quicker than expected and that there may be an opportunity to raise donations beyond your original target, then just let us know and we can update your campaign page accordingly. Your campaign webpage and material must clearly explain how any funds raised in excess of your original target will be used.
By registering a crowdfunding campaign on InvestMyCommunity, the organisation has made a contractual commitment to ensure that all donations provided to the organisation’s crowdfunding campaign will be used for the purposes set out on the crowdfunding page and other campaign material. If you choose to accept donations beyond your original campaign target then your campaign webpage and material must clearly explain how any excess funds raised will be used.
Yes. We take our responsibility seriously and fully commit to the Fundraising Promise and the Codes of Fundraising Practice.
Karadoo Finance Limited, the owner and operator of InvestMyCommunity, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 777371).
Updated 25th February, 2021